Watch this short video to see how it is done!
Taking a hair sample is quick and easy but since we get a lot of questions from people that are considering the test but have concerns that can be easily alleviated, and if you haven't seen it already here is the video explaining why everyone benefits from the test, and why it is such an incredible value for understanding your health.
Here are a few frequently asked questions and answers about hair testing:
1. What if I don't have any hair on my head?
Good question. Simple, you can use underarm or even pubic hair. All 3 hair types work just fine for the laboratory to process. The sample kit that is mailed to you has a easy to understand instructions to make sure.
If necessary, we can even accept fingernail and toenail clippings, in this case, clip fingernails and/or toenails and place in the small paper envelope.
2. What do I need to take the sample?
A pair of scissors, or thinning shears if you prefer (most patients use regular scissors and take the sample themselves or have their barber or hairdresser do it for them) that are clean and do not have any residue, like grease or oil that could contaminate the sample.
3. Will snipping the hair leave a noticeable gap in my hair?
No. The sample kit instructions recommend cutting hair close to the scalp in several places instead of one area to avoid this.
4. But I have short hair! How long does my hair need to be?
Hair can be as short as 1/2 inch, and if you have longer hair, try keeping the last 1.5 inches of hair closest to the scalp. Why keep the hair closest to the scalp? Well, think about it, since the hair was cut closest to the skin it is the most recent hair to grow and therefore the closest and best read of what is going on inside your body.
5. How do I to take the sample?
1. Fill out the 1 pager of questions in the kit. Write the name of the shampoo you use on the small envelope.
2. Grab your scissors and cut hair as described above in several spots, close to the scalp, or use the hair from both underarms, or the pubic region - your preference, cutting gently, carefully and close to the skin.
3. Collect the amount needed as shown in the kit.
5. Mail your sample to the lab using the prepaid label included in your kit (USA only).
6. How much hair is needed / How do I know I put enough into the small white envelope?
1 full tablespoon is all the hair that is needed!
7. Do I need to fill out any credit card info on the questionnaire?
No, since you are buying and paying for the hair test here on the website.
8. What if my hair is dyed? What if my hair is bleached?
We accept treated hair.
9. How do I get my results? What do I do with them?
Your results are simply emailed to you via a locked, password-protected pdf using the email your provide at checkout. You can share the results with someone you trust who can have the interpretation of the results done by us via a phone call which is paid for by adding one of the nutritional options to your cart.
10. What does the hair test show and not show?
The hair test does not show any drugs of any kind the patient has taken at any point.
Thankfully, your hair analysis will show: mineral levels throughout your body, your heavy metal levels, your ratios of heavy metals to specific minerals, like calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, as well as many you may be less familiar with like germanium which are also important, and in the case of germanium and manganese, influence the quality of your memory.
The test also grades your metabolism and may provide suggestions for improving it, if not suggestions can be found by ordering a consultation of your choice in the products tab of the website.
Yes, you can see all of that!
11. Why / How is the hair test so accurate compared to blood?
The hair in your sample is grown slowly compared to blood work, and acts like a dip stick in a car's engine, reading the oil life.
Hair is much more indicative of your actual day to day health over 3 months (so you get reliable results and can take reliable action and improve your health more easily and with more confidence) than just taking one bit of oil as you do with the car, or one blood draw on a given day, as you have often done in the past.
The hair testing equipment is also incredibly precise; this lends to a level of precision that is not currently possible with blood testing.
12. Are the hair test kits HSA eligible?
Our tests and consultations are often reimbursable by your health savings account. Check with your HSA and get ready to upgrade your health. You can always pay directly here on the site and check on the status later.
13. Can I still purchase your hair test kit if I live in the state of New York?
Yes, but only if you can ship to a friend or family member outside of New York or you are on vacation outside of New York. The hair sample can not be collected in the state of New York either. These restrictions are due to state laws, not Upgraded Formulas.
Barton Scott, Nutritionist, Chemical Engineer, and Founder of Upgraded Formulas, LLC.